Wednesday 26 February 2014

Vinyl is Retro


I teased these little guys in my first entry so why wait any longer? I know, I know suspense would make a great entry but I have not been one for suspense and besides the more I handled these guys the more I was enjoying them. I present to you The Loyal Subjects 3" Vinyl Figures Series 1 of some G1 classics.


Now I do not have the complete set (as of yet) but 4 out of 8 is not that bad. I found these figures at my local comic book shop, Heroes Comics and it was the package that instantly drew me to them. They are packaged in a simple box with graphics that channel the original G1 toys that these Super Deformed (SD) are inspired by. Red and Black with a grid, classic fonts and artwork depicting one of 8 possible figures inside.


Inside each box there is a foil bag making this a complete mystery on which figure you will receive. In the complete series you have Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee and Starscream and the in addition to the four have. Soundwave, Jazz, Thundercracker and Grimlock.




Each figure comes with a weapon, in the case for Jazz has a very simplic representation of his G1 toy gun. Thundercracker it appears they didn't even try on his weapon, but the addition of the wings is a nice touch. Now be careful with those wings as they are attached to the back via two small pegs. Take your time attaching them, even though the material they used is not cheap, they can bend easily and from my experience if it bends too much it may break.

Now we come to the stars of the show in regards to weapons. Soundwave has his iconic cannon that can be held in his hands, sadly there is no mounting point for an additional shoulder cannon, as there is just no room beside the larger head. Grimlock surprised me the most. Not only does his come packed with his double barrelled gun, he also comes with his sword. I dare you call him a bozo now.


The paint application on these figures is sharp and the placement is spot on. Jazz has his Number 4 and Martini logo with the lettering replaced with Loyal 1, as well as tail lights on the his back, and yes the paint apps do make up for the lacklustre weapon. Thundercraker chest is representative of a Seeker with the traditional pin striping and Decepticon logos on the wings. Grimlock's gold chest is actually lost with the multiple colour on him, but on each hand are small dino claws. Soundwave has all his buttons painted along with a Descepticon logo on the tape door and shoulders. Going back to the original toy versus the cartoon series he also come with yellow eyes.


The quality of these still impress me. They are hollow vinyl but they don't feel like a dog's chew toy and surprisingly there are articulation points! The head and waist swivel, now show me a dog's toy that does that. The arms could move a full 360, but the large heads on these figures prevent that as well there is an upper arm swivel that makes holding the weapons easier.

The most impressive little addition to these blind packs is the inclusion of a bio cards. They are inside the foil bag and that process does place some slight bends in the cardboard which is easily resolved by placing them under a flat, heavy weight. A brief bio on the character along with tech specs that make you want to look for an old G1 decoder to read. The backs of the bio cards show the Autobot and Decepticon leaders.


With Series 2 right around the corner, I honestly cannot wait. The completionist in me would like to complete the Series 1 set but there are a few gems in Series 2 that I would rather have over yet another Bumblebee. The new release should include Shockwave, Dirge, Ramjet, Thrust, Prowl, Mirage. There also appears to be a Optimus Prime with an Energy Axe, a new Grimlock with T-Rex Arms and Dino head on his back and he appears to be joined by Snarl and Slag (or Slug or Snarl, oh wait they have a Snarl) Sideswipe, Sharpnel and possibly Skywarp.

Now this information is purely based on photos I have seen from the latest round of Toy Shows, so we all know that the details are subject to change. If there is only a small chance some of the above mentioned bots are released, in my opinion with the quality and surprises of Series 1, Series 2 will be the one to get.

TheRealRonin
Like Transformers Reviews on Facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment