Sunday 23 March 2014

What's small, green and not Irish?

Well I hope your hangover was not too bad and your St.Paddy's Day enjoyable. In honour of the day in which beer is turned green and everyone is Irish, I bring you a review of something small and green. No I am not reviewing a leprechaun, although that would be an awesome. I bring you Cyberverse Commander Class Hardshell.

I am not a huge fan of the Cyberverse Figures in either Legion or Commander classes, but I needed a Hardshell to complete my Transformers Prime collection and other then his small stature not matching in scale with my other Deluxe and Voyagers within my Prime collection he does fit in nicely. With the recent introduction of simpler transformations and the upscaling of Cybervese figures into Deluxe Class, I hope Hardshell is next on this list.




I am going to start with Insect mode. They were able to pack a ton of bug in such a small figure.
The first thing that draws your attention are the wings, held into the main body on a ball joint adding to the possibility but be careful, at least on my figure they do have a tenancy to pop out easily. Like any insect we have a total of 6 legs but it is only the rear two that later become the robot's hands that are poseable. The long upper mandible hides a mouth that surprisingly does open and close. The is weapon storage on top of the figure in insect mode, but with it's fierce mandible is it really necessary?

Transforming this little bug into a fighting robot is both interesting and challenging, a surprising combo in a tiny figure. After splitting the abdomen, untuck the legs and move them into postilion keeping in mind that they are meant to be placed like chicken legs. Next you need to position the arms and flip the rear leg pieces into the forearms. Now for a surprising piece of ingenuity for a figure of this scale, take the head and legs section of the insect mode and turn it 180 degrees. Once turned grab the robot head that is tucked away inside the chest and pull it up, that movement will expand the collapsed chest and setting it into place. Once done reposition the head back down making sure the gaps created by that action are filled in with the layered parts. The shoulder covers are on a double jointed swivel. Move then from the back to the front over the arms and the transformation is complete.


In robot mode, the choice in colours of green and yellow really pop and are applied in the right areas. There is grey plastic in the arms and an attempt to match that colour on the neck and face of the creature via a [aint application. There is not much in the way of poseibility. The head moves up and down and there is a chest crunch but these are due to the transformation. The shoulders and elbows are on ball joints allowing a free range of motion and posing options. There are joints on the hips, upper thigh, knee but those joints are mainly used to achieve the chicken leg look and fro folding the legs into the abdomen. The feet are on a ball joint so you can place the figure easily into a walking pose. Now the weapon I do not recall being seen in the show, can be placed on one of the two ports available on each forearm. I like to display mine in a more regal pose, using the friction launcher as a shield and the "missile" as a staff as the wings add to that feel making the appearance of a cape. The head sculpt does not have that much in the way of detail but the application of the silver paint does bring it to life.






In short I am a fan of this tiny guy, but it is the size that is preventing me from owning more. Unlike the Vehicons in my last review, unless they amp up the size to at least a deluxe class I shall keep any I find on the shelves for you. If they do make a Deluxe Class version all bets are off and it is time to rumble. I feel the welcomed upgrade is needed as these Insecticons should not be looking up at Airachnid, they should be worshiping her as they tower slightly higher than her but for now these two figures will be placed on my self together. Oh and not to worry, I am considering some of the third party additions to help improve the Queen of the Insecticons.



TheRealRonin
Like Transformers Reviews on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment